Friday, January 18, 2008

Shingles?!


We've been through an interesting turn of events lately. A few weeks ago, I woke up with a horribly itchy patch on my side right above my waistline. It looked like about 20 bug bites and they HURT! Well, my imagination started to soar, as well as my paranoia, and I was sure it was bed bugs. I began researching bed bugs online, and found that we probably didn't have those, but I was determined to find out what it was. Well, I then started reading about mites (we do have two cats that get on our bed) and was convinced that was what "got" me. I was paranoid to the point where I convinced Nick to sleep on the living room floor with me one night. That of course was after I had torn all the sheets, blankets and bed skirt off the bed and put them in the wash. For the rest of the week, I was not sleeping well, and itching every spot on my body because I was "sure" there were bugs all over. We even called our landlord to send over an exterminator. Well, after a week with no relief on the bites, I decided to go to the doctor. I told him that I had these bug bites that feel like a big bruise and still itch really bad. He took one look and said, "Looks like shingles to me." Well, I guess that's why they get paid so much money...they're so dang smart! Turns out that the chicken pox virus stays on your nerve root until something happens to reactivate it, like a low immune system (I'm pregnant) and possibly aggravating the nerve (I have had horrible back pain on that side for weeks). Well, here's a picture of whats left, a week and a half later, and they still "friggin" hurt!!! Ahhh, pregnancy.

4 comments:

Polly said...

Okay, the shingles thing stinks but congratulation on everything else going on with you lately! I'm so glad that I happened on to your blog and that you guys are all doing well! My we've got a blog, too...send me your e-mail and I'll send you an invite to it. My e-mail is pollyeates@yahoo.com
Polly

thepainterfamily said...

oh man! I am dying about the sleeping on the living room floor! what a good husband! haha! ya know...for some reason it doesn't surprise me about the shingles because I SWEAR the weirdest things happen during pregnancy! hopefully you feel better soon!

MoJo said...

Oh my gosh Ab! My Grandma has Shingles, I thought that was only for older people. Ha ha, you're old. lol No but really... that sucks. I hope I never get those b/c they sound like they suck.

thepainterfamily said...

hey lady! I am dying for an update! how is pregnancy treating you lately?