Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Welcome Jayden Nicholas!



At my baby shower--5 days before. The cake said "Welcome Little Fella" because we hadn't picked out a name yet...haha.



Brady looooves his little brother!



Cousin Sarah holding Jayden.



Dad's HUGE hand holding his head.



Going home! Check out my chicken legs!!



One proud big brother.



Bathtime at Granny's house!



Jayden Nicholas Hilbert
Born July 24th, 2008
5 lbs. 9 oz.
18 inches long.

Everyone has their labor story, so here is mine. On the night of July 23rd, I had my sisters over to watch a movie with us. I had had some sporatic contractions that were uncomfortable, but nothing I was concerned about. Nick got home from work and I let him know about the contractions, just to give him a heads up. Well, they didn't go away, and around 10 pm, my sister said we should time them. I was still able to somewhat talk through them, and I was joking around in between them. They were about 5 min apart then--I still didn't think I was in labor... So, my sisters left at about 11:30, and Jill said she would call me when she got home to see if the contractions had let up any. I swear, as soon as the door shut, someone hit the accelerator on my labor. They quickly became 3 min apart and VERY painful. Nick had already gone to bed, so I woke him up and told him that the contractions were "pretty bad". He kinda was laying there with his eyes closed one second, and then after breathing through my next contraction, I looked at him and he was wide-eyed just staring at me. He jumped in the shower while I packed a bag for me and Brady--no, I hadn't done that yet... By the time we got to the hospital, I was feeling like I had to push--I knew I was further along then. Rachel picked Brady up from the hospital, and my sister Jill came up with me to the OB unit. When the nurse asked me to get out of the wheelchair and sit on the bed, and I told her I couldn't sit down, she said, "Ok, I need you to QUICKLY change into a gown and let me check you." I was an 8 when she checked, and it was about that time that I think I kind of disconnected from the labor. Well, within 10 minutes, I was a 10 and trying to push. The dr. wasn't there yet, so they paged the ER doctor, while they were holding (yes HOLDING) the baby in telling me to breath through the urge until he got there. FINALLY after what seemed like an eternity, the Dr. got there, and had to deliver the baby without gloves because it was too quick. I had very bad tearing because of the speed of the labor, and it took the dr. longer to stitch me up then the labor did. So, I checked into the hospital at about 12:50 am, and had Jayden at 1:19 am. I think it was so traumatic because I wasn't planning AT ALL on having a natural birth. If I had been prepared, I think it would have gone a little better. Also, my mom was still working in Las Vegas and wasn't going to be back until Saturday night, so my sister Jill filled in. Nick was awesome during the delivery, and I think I came close to breaking his hand because I had a death grip on it the whole time. BUT....all of it was worth it when we saw our little guy. He is such a good baby! He is such a good eater, and has gained almost a pound since we left the hospital.

6 comments:

steph said...

yay!! congrats hilbert fam. little jayden is so cute and teeny. i can't believe he came 3 weeks early! and so fast!! good job on the natural birth too. that's pretty cool. a part of me wants to do it but i'm too chicken to plan on it. good luck with everything! keep us updated.

MoJo said...

He is so sweet Abs. I think he totally looks like Nick! How's life been with a brand new baby in the house? How are you doing? Like steph said, keep us posted on how things are. I know it's hard but we like hearing from ya!

thepainterfamily said...

CONGRATS HILBERT FAMILY! I just tear up looking at these sweet pictures! you guys are the most awesome family in my book! what a precious gift! I love the name Jayden and your birth story was crazy! of course, I am glad all was well in the end! love you much!

Faron and Erin said...

congrats!! he's too cute! Talk about a quick delivery!
Oh and I need your address =)

Elizabeth said...

Congratulation! What a beautiful baby boy! Congrat! Liz

Jordan and Chandra Smith said...

Abbie, he is very handsome!! Congratulations. I love his name, it has always been a favorite of mine!