Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The campin' Hilberts






We've had some pretty comical experiences lately. My dad bought a 20-year old pop-up camper off Craigslist and has been trying to rehab it for about a month. The wood is all rotted out, but he's been fixing it. This is a sad looking camper that has almost landed him in the ER once already (that's a story for another blog). Well, we have all been joking with him about it, and he finally got it ready for a camping trip. Nick and I were the guinea pigs that tested it out with him. We went to Wallace which is about 30 min away. As we settled down for the night on our side, I jokingly made the comment "I’m just waiting for this thing to fall." Well, what do you know, just after we had dosed off, I feel Nick pushing me off the bed and hear definite cracking that sounded a lot like screws were being pulled out of some place that was important to the stability of our bed. On top of this, I hear Nick saying, "It's giving way, get off!" Luckily, we escaped death (ok not really) and got off before it totally fell. The next day, my dad got some extra wood from Sutherlands and built a "support" for it. That poor camper had nothing on the $200,000 RVs that were around us, especially now with the makeshift support system. Needless to say, we traded spots with my dad for the next night, but I don't think either one of us really slept all that well, fearing the other side would fall too. The rest of the camping trip was fine, and we actually went this last weekend as well (with no near death experiences).

4 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

OH MY! CRACKING UP! you know what though...THIS is what makes memories...not the fancy schmancy RVs! haha! you got some priceless pictures too! what a fun weekend! This reminds me of my family's first and only experience with campers. We borrowed one (a SMALL pop-up camper) from a friend and headed to the lake...ummm...in July. There we were, 6 (at the time) people shoved into this TINY camper with NO AC and horrid heat and humidity! All the RVs around us had AC and satelite dishes....haha! we were pretty ghetto and begged our parents to go to TCBY for most of the day just to sit in there and get out of the heat! haha! good times.

MoJo said...

That's so funny. I can just hear your laugh right now. I think I would've paid to see all that go down. lol Jayden is so cute. It's nice to see him with his eyes opend and a little more fat on him. Brady is sure getting big. His face looks a little older. Looks like you guys had fun. Do you think you could send me a check list of what to do when you go camping so Joseph and I could actually go?? Maybe this weekend before he starts the over night shift!

Maeggan Allred said...

That's a hilarious story ... reminds me of when my dad 'accidentally' ripped the door off our camper ... the old ones are vintage ... which as you know makes them automatically cool ... it's been too long ... i can see that everything is great ... and you have a beautiful family .. if you ever feel like chatting i am on facebook or you can email me at maegganlin@hotmail.com ... Love ya!!

Jordan and Chandra Smith said...

I love camping. I grew up with one of those pop up campers, I have been wanting one. One day maybe!! I don't think my husband or I are Techy enough to fix anything like that.