Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Am I Getting Old?

I hope I am not, and that this isn't a sign of my age... I was making some Christmas presents and Brady was watching Disney in the other room. I guess after about 6 p.m. the shows for older kids come on. So, that show iCarly came on, and within about 10 minutes, two of the characters used the Lord's name in vain--ON DISNEY. Here, I was thinking it was safe, and then that happens. It is so frusterating to try to teach Brady that he is not supposed to say that when he can hear it everywhere it seems. Also, just now, while making dinner, a cartoon came on after the one Brady was watching that was I guess for "older" kids once again. The subject was about a guy that went to a spa and was trying to convince his friends that they should go because, "The girls are like almost naked there." Am I just crazy? Isn't this too extreme even for kids of the "appropriate" age? I just don't remember that subject content being on shows I watched growing up. Help me know I am not crazy please!

3 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

oh man, I feel your pain! We don't have cable...but you're always safe with PBS kids cartoons...the only catch is that they are only on in the morning!

Dave bought Zach a spiderman cartoon (not the movie :) because zach is all about spiderman...we didn't even think about it until a few days later I was in the kitchen and it was on in the background...I heard them swear! something about the "D*** building!" I was like WHAT!? a spiderman cartoon for kids can say swear words! sheesh! we had to take that video away!

MoJo said...

I LOVE iCarly. (I've always been a sucker for gay shows like that lol) I totally know what you mean though! I try not to let Ella watch tv now b/c of it all. I think it was on iCarly where Sam said her mom was a slut. I couldn't believe that. I turned it off and quickly changed the subject. Just what I need, my 3 year old calling me a slut one of these days! Sheesh! I think I'm just going to make it my goal to stick with PBS or no tv at all. (although I've heard worse words at the park...it might as well be rated "R" for that matter)

fung family said...

That's because we couldn't watch them;) Remember Three's company, Love Boat. We always wanted to watch those but weren't allowed. It's true that it has become more mainstream, though. I wonder how they justify allowing new swear words on tv like the B word, now. Do they have a conference and go,"Aw it's not that bad, everybody says it"?